Happy New Year! Well, not in soapland. EastEnders is kicking off 2019 with a sad death and a funeral as well as devastating secrets and plans for revenge while Coronation Street will air a catastrophic stunt, a fire and see one major character go on a downward spiral. Meanwhile, Emmerdale has a stabbing and exposes the truth about Joe Tates death at last.
Its all going on! But theres plenty more than that to be excited for – with newcomers in Walford, familiar, iconic faces in the Dales and a wedding on the horizon in Weatherfield. Here, we summarise what you can look forward to in the three main soaps as the new year gets off with a bang!
- As the Slaters continue to reel from what Alfie has done, he faces a crossroads and has a big decision to make
- After Mels revenge explodes, the aftermath will be felt far and wide for those left to deal with what has happened.
- The Ahmed and Taylor families expand with relatives who each bring their own troubles and secrets to the table.
- Lola is heading back too with Lexi in tow – but what will this mean for Jay?
- Doctor Legg loses his battle with cancer – and Mary and Lofty return for his funeral in emotional scenes.
- Stuart continues to cause more tension as he remains in Walford – will the Carters ever be rid of him?
- Tiffany faces more trauma as Evie tightens her grip on her. How much danger will she find herself in as the stakes are increased.
- Keanu is torn between Sharon and Louise but will Phil discover the truth as secrets threaten to explode?
- Mitch has a big secret that is about to come to light but how will Karen and Keegan react?
- Ruby continues her fight for justice but will she cope as a trial draws nearer?
- A colossal disaster rocks the cobbles as the roof of Underworld caves in leaving one resident dead. And it was a deliberate act…
- As the Street turns on Carla, she faces a battle with her mental health which leads her down a very dark road.
- Nick and David end up at war and their feud leads them into hugely dangerous territory.
- Audrey is rocked in the wake of Lewis death but was he really the one responsible for taking her money?
- Clayton gets in touch with Shona and he needs her help but will she break the law and can she and David survive this?
- Steve and Tracy are rocked to the core by Amys pregnancy and things soon turn nasty when a legal battle ensues.
- Peter is horrified when his boat catches fire and he races to Simons rescue – and the person who caused the blaze is a big surprise.
- Billy enjoys his new passionate romance with Gemmas brother Paul – but will she and Paul see eye to eye?
- Mary is delighted by the brief return of Norris and the pair have a lot of catching up to do – but chaos is just around the corner.
- Kate and Rana make plans for their wedding but face from one of their pasts causes no end of annoyance.
- The death of Joe Tate haunts Cain and Graham and as Debbie learns the truth, more twists are set to play out.
- Mandy arrives back and gives Paddy a huge surprise when she announces that she has a teenage son!
- Kim is released from prison and has some serious scores to settle when she arrives back at Home Farm.
- Vanessa apprehends someone torching the Woolpack and faces a fight for her life when she is stabbed.
- Jacobs head is all over the place as Maya continues her affair with him but will the truth come to light?
- Belle is spooked by the actions of a vengeful Lachlan, who is determined to make her suffer.
- Bobs financial situation spirals out of control but as things get worse, can he reach out to anyone for help?
- Harriet is determined to help Dawn get her life back on track but its easier said than done.
- Theres a romantic proposal on the horizon – who is getting hitched?
- An all female episode will air on International Womens Day, featuring exclusive focus on the women characters of the village.