Politics

Judge Allows Covington Students Defamation Suit Against NBC to Proceed

A defamation lawsuit against NBCUniversal filed by Nicholas Sandmann, a teenager from Covington Catholic High School in Kentucky accused by legacy media of picking a fight with an elderly activist in the nations capital in January, is being allowed to move forward after a series of legal setbacks.

Sandmann, who claims he was wrongly portrayed as the aggressor, may now proceed with two other defamation lawsuits against The Washington Post and CNN. Hes asking for $275 million in punitive and compensatory damages against NBC for generating a “false narrative” driven by its “anti-Trump agenda.”

Sandmanns attorney, Lin Wood, celebrated the court ruling against NBC on Twitter on Nov. 21.

“As predicted, today Judge Bertelsman entered an order allowing the Nicholas Sandmann case against NBCUniversal to proceed to discovery just as he had earlier ruled with respect to WaPo & CNN cases. Huge, huge win!”

A series of videos posted online in January that showed the young Trump supporters awkward reaction to having his personal space invaded by a loud activist quickly went viral.

Sandmann was shown in the videos wearing a red pro-Trump “Make America Great Again” baseball cap at the Lincoln Memorial, after attending this years March for Life.

An elderly Native American man named Nathan Phillips was shown in the videos getting too close for comfort to Sandmann, who at times stared back at the activist and smiled. Sandmann was shown in the videos standing firm without responding, as Phillips loudly pounded a drum just inches from his face.

Phillips told reporters the high school kids were “beasts,” and, “It was racism. It was hatred. It was scary.”

Sandmann and his cohorts were angrily denounced by pundits on both the left and the right for supposedly showing disrespect to Phillips, even though Sandmann says he intended no such disrespect. Critics say the reporting by media outlets led to the widespread vilification of the high school students across the nation. Sandmann and his classmates even received death threats.

U.S. District Court Judge William Bertelsman ruled the case may proceed on limited grounds after he previously threw out parts of the $275 million lawsuit against NBC, while permitting discovery on allegations the media outlet defamed the young man by reporting he “blocked” Phillips in the Jan.Read More – Source

Show More

Related Articles