Usman Khan, 28, was shot dead by police after he went on the rampage targeting people at Fishmongers Hall near London Bridge in the heart of the citys financial district.
The Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said in a statement that Khan, who resided in the Staffordshire area, had been known to authorities after his conviction in 2012 for terrorism offenses. The 28-year-old was released from prison in December 2018 “on licence,” meaning that he was released from jail to reintegrate back into the community but must adhere to certain conditions.
To read the full updated statement by Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, please visit https://t.co/wtwb4I3fE6
— Metropolitan Police (@metpoliceuk) November 30, 2019
Basu said police has established a key line of inquiry to understand how Khan came to carry out this attack. They added that although their investigation is in the early stages, police are not seeking anyone else in relation to the attack.
“We continue to make fast time inquiries to ensure that no other people were involved in this attack and that there is no outstanding threat to the public,” he said.
Just before 2 p.m., Khan was at an event at Fishmongers Hall called “Learning Together,” where police believe he began his attack, Basu said. He then made his way onto London Bridge, where he was then fatally shot by armed officers. He was said to be wearing a fake suicide vest when he was shot.
Local media reported that during the attack several members of the public confronted Khan in order to disarm him.
Police said extensive cordons are likely to remain in place around the crime scene and have urged the public to continue to avoid the area.
Following the attack, the White House issued a statement saying that President Donald Trump had been briefed and was monitoring the situation.
“The United States strongly condemns all horrific acts of violence on innocent people, and we pledge our full support to our ally, the United Kingdom,” the White House deputy press secretary Judd Deere said.
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson also issued a statement and a video addressing the incident.
“I want to thank the emergency services and members of the public for their immense bravery in responding to this suspected terrorist attack at London Bridge. This is an appalling incident and all my thoughts are with the victims and their families,”Read More – Source