Oxford United 2 (Browne 13, Henry 49), Doncaster Rovers 2 (Marquis 7, Jones og 61)

OXFORD United reached 60 points for the season as they shared an entertaining draw with play-off bound Doncaster Rovers.

Jon Marquis headed the visitors in front early on, but Marcus Browne quickly levelled the scores.

United had the ball in the net three times in six minutes at the start of the second half, but only the second one counted as James Henry ended his long wait for a 15th goal of the season.

Nico Jones was the unfortunate defender to score an own goal on his full debut to level the scores again.

Rovers were running down the clock late on as United looked lively, but just as in their meeting in December, the game finished 2-2.

Jones, 17, was handed his first start among eight changes made to the United starting line-up from the win at Shrewsbury Town on Easter Monday.

Browne, back from a three-game ban, was another and he roasted Matty Blair three times in the opening five minutes.

Rovers weathered the storm and went on to open the scoring in the seventh minute.

Playing with a strong breeze at their backs, a chip from Herbie Kane caught the wind and forced Simon Eastwood to tip over the crossbar.

United never cleared the resulting corner and when Mallik Wilks crossed the ball back in, Marquis powered a header into the net from eight yards.

But the advantage lasted only six minutes – and there was no surprise when it came that Browne did the damage.

Jamie Hanson fired a pass into Jerome Sinclair, whose skilful turn and pass put the West Ham loanee into space. He beat the exposed Paul Downing in the box and tucked a shot through goalkeeper Marko Marosi into the net.

It was just as well he scored, as James Henry was in space screaming for a tap-in.

The goals set the tone for an entertaining clash, where the wind complicated matters for both sides.

Rovers looked to pass the ball out from the back, but Uniteds pressing forced them into a host of errors which led to counter-attacking chances.

Just before the half-hour mark Henry and Cameron Brannagan, named players player of the season before kick-off, combined to carve out a chance for Sinclair, which was saved.

A minute later Blairs torrid afternoon continued with a soft header back to Marosi which saw a two-on-one chance, but Sinclairs pass for Henry was cut out.

Marquis dived in search of a penalty, which went unpunished, before he had a smart shot on the turn saved by Eastwood after the goalkeepers skied clearance barely reached outside the box.

United looked the more dangerous, though, and converted that momentum early in the second half.

Sinclair had a goal disallowed within a minute of the restart for a marginal offside call after Brownes 25-yard effort was spilled by Marosi.

It did not take long before the home fans were celebrating, though.

Eastwoods wind-assisted clearance drifted over Danny Andrews head for Gavin Whyte to get into the box and square for Henry. Marosi blocked the initial shot, but Uniteds top scorer slammed in the rebound.

Henry was celebrating what he thought was goal No 16 three minutes later with a gorgeous looped finish into the far corner the right corner of the box, but referee Charles Breakspear had already blown for what he felt was a handball.

Read More – Source

Show More

Related Articles