“We received an official verbal message from the Islamic Republic of Iran that the Iranian response to the assassination of Qassem Soleimani had begun or would begin shortly, and that the strike would be limited to where the US military was located in Iraq without specifying the locations,” Prime Minister Adel Abdel Mahdis office said in a statement, reported the AFP news agency.
His office said it was contacted by the United States at the same time. It came as missiles hit the Ain al-Asad military base in western Iraq and another base in the north.
Iran launched more than a dozen missiles at Iraqi bases housing U.S. and other coalition troops late on Tuesday after an American drone strike killed Soleimani, a top Revolutionary Guards commander, last week in Baghdad.
“We immediately warned Iraqi military commanders to take the necessary precautions,” Mahdis office added.
He said no Iraqi forces were hurt or killed in the attack. “Iraq rejects any violation of its sovereignty and attacks on its territory,” the premiers office also said, but didnt elaborate.
Its not clear yet if any American soldiers were harmed, but President Donald Trump wrote on Twitter after the missile incident that “all is well” before saying he would provide an update on Wednesday morning.
Mahdi is now in talks with domestic and foreign nations to prevent a war, said his office.
The Revolutionary Guards claimed responsibility for the missile attack, while the Pentagon also confirmed that about “a dozen” missiles were launched from Iran.
Hours later, Irans Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei said the United States got “a slap in the face last night” and called for U.S. forces to leave the region