President Donald Trump said hed try to attend the July 4th celebration at Mount Rushmore this year.
Speaking at the White House before signing the China trade deal, Trump said he was behind fireworks being allowed again during the celebration at the national monument.
“I called up our people and in 15 minutes got it approved, and we will have the first fireworks display at Mount Rushmore, and I will try and get out there if I can,” Trump said on Wednesday.
Fireworks were part of the yearly July 4th celebration at Mount Rushmore but were discontinued in 2010 because of concerns of a pine beetle infestation in the surrounding Black Hills National Forest.
According to a 2016 report from the U.S. Geological Survey, the fireworks display, which started in 1998, found concentrations of metals that are commonly associated in groundwater and surface water within and adjacent to Mount Rushmore National Memorial.
Trump told South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem at the White House in December 2019 that “nobody knows why” the fireworks were ended “but you just couldnt have it.”
“And now youre going to have fireworks. And the Governor called, and she said, You got to do me a favor. Right?” he said.
“And you did,” Noem responded.
“And we worked it out. And we got it done. And youre going to have fireworks,” Trump said.
Noem announced in May 2019 that the fireworks would be brought back on Independence Day in 2020.
“We are excited and honored to see fireworks return to our nations Shrine of Democracy. When the fireworks were previously held at Mount Rushmore, the show was beamed around the globe via satellite. The entire world was able to view a celebration of our nations freedoms from the majestic memorial and the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota,” she said in Read More – Source