Politics

Biden Campaign Agrees to Three Debates With Trump

Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden will participate in three debates with President Donald Trump, his campaign said Monday.

Bidens campaign said he expects to secure the nomination at the Democratic Party Convention, which would garner him a formal invitation from the Commission on Presidential Debates.

Biden will accept the invitation and participate in the debates, Jen OMalley Dillon, Bidens campaign manager, said in a letter to the commission.

Bidens running mate, who has not yet been named, will be part of the vice-presidential candidates debate on Oct. 7, she added.

“Joe Biden looks forward to facing Donald Trump in a multi-debate series that the American people have come to expert from their leaders,” Dillon told the commission.

Biden is deferring to the commission on all the arrangements, including moderators, dates, and format.

But his campaign said it hopes the commission has plans in the event the COVID-19 pandemic is still going on in the fall. Debates could still be held with appropriate social distancing measures, Bidens campaign manager said, while the second debate should be in a town hall format, as it has been for presidential cycles since 1992.

Epoch Times Photo
President Donald Trump arrives at a campaign rally at the BOK Center in Tulsa, Okla., on June 20, 2020. (Win McNamee/Getty Images)

The commission, a nonprofit established in 1987 to sponsor and produce the general election debates, declined to comment on Bidens letter, referring The Epoch Times to an April 21 press release that said the commission was preparing the sites announced last year.

The debates are slated to take place on Sept. 29 at the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana; Oct. 15 at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan; and Oct. 22 at Belmont University in Nashville.

Tim Murtaugh, the Trump campaigns communications diRead More From Source

Show More

Related Articles