Politics

Developments in Durham Investigation Likely by This Summer, Barr Says

Attorney General William Barr said he expects some “developments” later this summer in U.S Attorney John Durhams investigation into the origins of the FBIs counterintelligence Russia probe.

Barr said Durham has been pressing ahead with his investigation “as hard as he can,” despite facing barriers posed by the CCP virus pandemic, which had delayed some aspects of the probe.

“In terms of the future of Durhams investigation, hes pressing ahead as hard as he can. And I expect that we will have some developments, hopefully before the end of the summer,” Barr told Fox News “Sunday Morning Futures” on June 21.

He said the pandemic had slowed down the process to allow Durhams team to interview people, adding that people had been reluctant to travel for interviews due to the virus. Despite the delays, Durham had been working on other matters that arent affected by the pandemic, Barr said.

Barr assigned Durham in early 2019 to investigate the origins of the FBIs counterintelligence investigation of the Trump campaign and to assess whether the surveillance of Trump campaign associate Carter Page was free of improper motive. The probe was designated a formal criminal investigation later in 2019.

Durham could scrutinize the conduct of several current and former senior FBI officials during his investigation, including former Director James Comey, former Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, and former Deputy Assistant Director Peter Strzok. Those officials were involved in obtaining a warrant for surveillance on Page and deployed at least two spies to target Trump campaign adviser George Papadopoulos.

Barr had previously expressed concern over some of the information he had received so far from Durham about the probe, saying that he was “very troubled.” He added that he doesnt expect Durhams probe to result in criminal investigations into former President Barack Obama and former Vice President Joe Biden.

During the June 21 interview, the attorney general expressed concern and surprise over the media and the publics lack of interest and enthusiasm over Durhams probe, which he says concerns “civil liberties and the integrity of our governmental process.”

“Its been stunning that all we have gotten from the mainstream media is sort of bovine silence in the face of the complete collapse of the so-called Russiagate scandal, which they did all they could to sensationalize and drive,” Barr said.

“And its, like, not even a whoops. Theyre just onto the next false scandal. So, that has been surprising to me that people arent concerned about civil liberties and the integrity of our governmental process.”

He noted that Durhams investigation would continue and wont cease because of the election, but added that “what happens after the election may depend on who wins the election.”

Along with Durhams investigation, Barr appointed U.S. Attorney John Bash to review the litany of unmasking requests made by officials in the late stages of Read More From Source

Show More

Related Articles