News

There Are No ABC Cuts, Communications Minister Insists

Communications Minister Paul Fletcher has defended not passing on a request from the ABCs managing director for extra regional funding during last summers bushfire season.

“Agencies within a ministers portfolio routinely put proposals,” Fletcher told ABC televisions Insiders program on June 28.

“Thats as it should be. Not every proposal that comes forward gets supported.”

Insider Host David Speers said he had obtained a letter from the NSW Nationals leader John Barilaro to the prime minister and deputy prime minister saying ignoring this funding request for regional areas was “incomprehensible”.

“I would say two things. There is no cut … funding is stable,” Fletcher replied.

“The second point … weve got the $50 million public interest news gathering program in regional Australia for television, radio and newspapers.”

The so-called PING program provides grants to support newspaper businesses and commercial broadcasters across regional and remote Australia.

Australias national broadcaster, the ABC, announced 250 jobs losses last week because operational funding would be more than 10 percent lower in 2021/22 than it was in 2013 when the coalition government first came to power.

The government has repeatedly denied there are any cuts.

Labors communications spokeswoman Michelle Rowland said Fletchers response on the ABCRead More – Source

Show More

Related Articles