Thousands of Sydneysiders will potentially have to self-isolate for two weeks after a pub staffer became the latest case in an emerging COVID-19 disease cluster.
The 18-year-old staffer was on Sunday confirmed as the sixth case linked to The Crossroads Hotel cluster.
That led authorities to vastly expand the requirement on patrons of the Casula pub to self-isolate from the 600-odd people who visited on July 3 to everyone who entered from July 3 to its closure on July 10.
The original case is still not known, New South Wales Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant said.
“We do not think the staff member was the source,” Chant told reporters on Sunday.
“He worked for a number of days, he did work on the third (and) on subsequent days.”
Five cases have been previously linked to the pub: two patrons who visited on July 3 and three close contacts of one of those patrons.
None of those cases is linked to Victorias outbreak.
Some 1,200 people have been tested at the pop-up clinic in the pub car park since July 10.
Chant said all Crossroads patrons and staff should get tested as a precaution and self-isolate until 14 days after their last visit.
“Even if you get a negative test, that does not mean you are out of the woods,” she said.
“A negative result does not mean you can breach self-isolation.”
“I get extremely concerned and upset when we see people flouting the rules that are in place because that will take us down the path of Victoria,” she said.
“If you wake up with a scratchy throat, dont go to work. Get tested and stay home.”
The pub outbreak highlighted the importance of businesses recording contact details for every sit-down customer and the public taking the measures seriously, Chant said.
“When you do go into cafes, restaurants and other facilities, there is a reason we ask you for those details,” the states top doctor said.
“Please use correct numbers (and) write legibly because this will be in your best interest.”
The staffers positive result was returnRead More – Source