Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers asked President Donald Trump in a letter on Sunday to “reconsider” his planned visit to Kenosha after the city suffered damage during riots that broke out following the police shooting of alleged sex offender Jacob Blake last week.
“I, along with other community leaders who have reached out, are concerned about what your presence will mean for Kenosha and our state,” said the Democratic governor in the letter. “Im concerned your presence will only hinder our healing. I am concerned your presence will only delay our work to overcome division and move forward together.”
“Now is not the time for divisiveness,” Evers added (pdf).
Just hours later, White House deputy press secretary Judd Deere said in a statement that the president was still looking forward to visiting Kenosha on Sept. 1 after receiving messages from other Kenosha residents who expressed their support for the presidential visit.
“The White House has been humbled by the outreach of individuals from Kenosha who have welcomed the presidents visit and are longing for leadership to support local law enforcement and businesses that have been vandalized,” Deere stated.
“President Trump looks forward to visiting on Tuesday and helping this great city heal and rebuild.”
Trump had first expressed his interest in visiting Kenosha on Saturday during a press briefing.
Trump had told reporters that the city was “in very, very good shape” after 1,000 National Guard soldiers were requested by Evers to assist in quelling the violence that broke out after news of Blakes injuries.
“The sheriff has been great. The police commissioner, the police chief has been great. Weve been working with all of them.”
The White House confirmed that the visit would go ahead later that night.
“President DonaldTrump will visit Kenosha, Wisconsin, on Tuesday to meet with local law enforcement and survey damage from the recent riots,” Deere announced on Twitter.
Senior Trump campaign adviser Lara Trump told Fox News on Sunday that the presidents team was still working on arranging a meeting between the president and Blakes family.
“Hes reached out to the Blake family,” she said. “I dont know if they were able to connect yet. And I dont know for sure if thats on the agenda.”
Blakes father, Jacob Blake Sr., told CNN that he had spoken to Biden and his running mate, Sen. Kamala Harris, on Wednesday about the shooting of his son.
Blakes family revealed Tuesday that Blake was still paralyzed from the waist down after having undergone multiple surgeries following the shooting.
Blake was rushed to hospital after the Sunday shooting in critical condition, where he remains.
The police officer who shot Blake, Rusten Sheskey, has since been placed on administrative leave and is under investigation by the Wisconsin Division of Criminal Investigation under the states Department of Justice.Read More From Source