Politics

Bolton Refutes Allegations That Trump Disparaged Military Personnel

Former national security adviser John Bolton has joined a growing list of top U.S. officials to refute a report that claimed, citing anonymous sources, that President Donald Trump spoke disparagingly about fallen U.S. military personnel and canceled a visit to an American cemetery during a trip to France because he did not believe it important to honor American war dead.

Bolton on Monday dismissed last weeks report by magazine The Atlantic as “simply false” during an appearance on Fox Newss “The Story.”

The Atlantics report, which relies entirely on unnamed sources, claimed that the president in 2018 made disparaging remarks about Marines buried at Aisne-Marne American Cemetery near Paris, France. The report also claims he turned down a trip to visit the cemetery because he feared his hair would become disheveled in rain.

“According to what the article said, the president made disparaging remarks about soldiers and people buried in the cemetery in connection with the decision for him not to go to the ceremony that was planned that afternoon, and that was simply false,” Bolton said. “I dont know who told the author that, but that was false.

Read MoreJohn Kelly Aide Denies Claims That Trump Denigrated Troops

Bolton, who has previously called the president unfit for office, said he was present for the discussion about visiting the cemetery] and reiterated Trumps remarks about the poor weather conditions.

“The main issue was whether or not weather conditions permitted the president to go out to the cemetery,” the former national security adviser told host Martha MacCallum, describing the canceled trip as a “very straight weather call.”

“I didnt hear that,” he added, referring to allegations that the president disparaged the American war dead. “Im not saying he didnt say them later in the day or another time, but I was there for that discussion.”

Bolton noted that while he isnt able to state that the president has never disparaged veterans in the past, he was responding to the what he took to be the main allegations of The Atlantic report.

“I was simply responding to what I thought [was] the main point of The Atlantic article: that at the critical point Saturday morning, when the decision was made not to go to Aisne-Marne, that he made the disparaging remarks, and he did not,” he said.

Separately on Monday, the U.S. Ambassador to France and Monaco Jamie McCourt, who was present when the Aisne-Marne trip was canceled, told Breitbart News that the allegations are untrue. A number of other on-the-record sources have also leapt to the presidents defense and rebutted the story.

“Needless to say, I never spoke to The Atlantic, and I cant imagine who would,” McCourt told Breitbart News. “In my presence, POTUS has NEVER denigrated any member of the U.S. military or anyone in service to our country. And he certainly did not that day, either.”

“Let me add, he was devastated to not be able to go to the cemetery aRead More From Source

Show More

Related Articles