PARIS—The man believed to have attacked and wounded two people with a meat cleaver on Friday is cooperating with the police and said he had targeted weekly satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, a police source told Reuters.
The attack took place in front of a building where Islamist militants gunned down employees of Charlie Hebdo in 2015 because of the republication of cartoons depicting Prophet Mohammad.
It coincided with the start this month of the trial of 14 alleged accomplices in the Charlie Hebdo attack. The gunmen behind that attack killed 12 people.
A judicial source said the suspects custody had been extended on Saturday morning. According to French law, he faces a formal investigation at the end of the process.
A suspected accomplice of the attacker was released in the early hours of Saturday while another person close to the suspected attacker and who could have been his former roommate in a hotel north of Paris has been arrested.
By midday Saturday, seven people remained in custody including the suspected attacker.
Police quickly detained the man suspected of carrying out the attack next to the steps of an opera house about 1,500 feet away.
The suspected attacker was from Pakistan and arrived in France three years ago as an unaccompanied minor, Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said.
A second suspect was detained moments after the attack and prosecutors were trying to establish his relation to the attacker. He was released free of charge, the source saRead More – Source